Monday, May 30, 2016

We be JAMMIN'!! Field to table #1

Hello Monday!!  (And happy Memorial Day to my friends in the USA)

I just love instagram.. I've connected with so many interesting people and have gotten so much inspiration.  This weekend the inspiration came from Northern Ontario - a very neat lady that was making dandelion jelly!!


Before Derek got too carried away with the weed-whacker/whipper-snipper/edger.. whatever you want to call that lawn care tool that tears down weeds, the girls and I got out to collect some dandelion heads.

I read over Pinterest and found a few different recipes for Dandelion jelly.  I gave one a whirl.

Now remember what I said about me in the kitchen??  Recipes are only a guideline, I do not measure.

Boil...  Steep... Mix... Jar...



But when my first batch didn't set I realized maybe with jams and jellies accuracy is required and I broke down and took Derek's advice.  I measured and I timed EVERYTHING!!

And (tongue in cheek, not admitting he was in any way right) I had success.

I won't share the recipe here - like I say, there are many different ones out there but its a very simple process (when you follow the directions... *sigh*)  Here are some tips though:

Make sure your dandelion crop is free from pesticides and other chemicals.  Get help with removing the dandelion petals... it is the slowest part of the process.  And get ready for black thumbs.



Test when you have boiled your jelly long enough.  Derek found this trick - a cup of ice and a chilled teaspoon.  Using the cool spoon, spoon out a bit of jelly after the final boil and set over top of the ice. If your jelly is ready, that spoonful will be set by the end of one minute.


Use a timer!!!


Final tip, remember to save some of these delicious blooms for our bees.


So just what can you do with this jelly?  We've eaten it on scones and bagels.  I'm told it would work nicely as a glaze for chicken or pork!



Canning is an art form.  I love when I hear the seals popping letting me know they are all set.  Whew.




 I have really enjoyed this little taste of canning and preserving and I am looking forward to doing more!

Oh!  And I have a few tupperware containers of our dandelion jelly in the refrigerator which will keep for a while if any friends close by would like to try some!

Jeanette








3 comments:

  1. What does it taste like? And don't say dandelion lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes like honey with a titch of lemon!! 😀 Seriously! Yummy!

      Delete
  2. What does it taste like? And don't say dandelion lol

    ReplyDelete