Monday, October 5, 2020

Wash your Hands!!

 Hey!

    When our ErinGirl was a baby she had baby eczema - bright red cheeks, patches of tender dry skin.  We used only Ivory soap for our laundry and a baby formula wash with oatmeal.

    That was 14 years ago and my only education in the difference in soap versus detergent and the effects of these on skin and health.  To be frank with you and with myself, I didn't give it another thought... until a dear friend gifted me a bar of handmade goat milk soap. 

    That bar was creamy and bubbly and rinsed off my skin so nicely, I was hooked.  I knew I had to learn more and add soap to my list of self sufficient life skills!

    Fast forward a year - I was not actively looking for soap making classes but into my mailbox came the class list for the local continuing education program and guess what was listed?!  A evening workshop detailing basic soap making... sign me up!

    After that class I was floored.. this was easy.. why had I not done this before?!  Why doesn't everyone do this?

    But life is busy and there are only so many hours in a day.  So I put that little skill on the back burner until the spring when dandelions were blooming and lambs were entering the world.  It was time to take a little bit of weedy herbology and a little bit of sheep milk and see what I could create.

    


    I had some pretty good successes... and some pretty epic failures.  Haha. Trust me, burnt milk soap does not look nor smell nice at all!
    
    I had listed some soaps in our little online shop and then the business of September hit and I hadn't been down to my little soap cave in weeks.  With the ocean of goat milk I'm fortunate to be swimming in I've since made a few batches of goats milk soap with good results.

    I think I have my Christmas gift idea list for family and friends well on its way... and with the slogan for 2020 being "Wash your Hands", soap might just be the best stocking stuffer!

    Stay healthy!
    Jeanette


No comments:

Post a Comment