Thursday, July 2, 2015

A bit like JUMANGI

Parts of SchnickAcres have become overgrown and are in need of a little TLC.               

Though I do not profess to have a 'green thumb', I can usually tell the weeds from the flowers.  I also have open mornings with lots of help, so I've taken to working away at some of the 'gardens'.  Sammy has adopted the front pond feature as her garden and began decorating it with garden decor while I pulled vines and cut back invasive growth.

Under some of the thick foliage we found wild strawberries!  Both Sammy and Krista thought it was such a treat to nibble away on these while we continued our work!

Along the curve in the driveway are some large boulders (we are on the escarpement after all), and it is here that I can picture adding colour with some beautiful daisies or black eyed susans.  As the girls and I cleared out some old grasses, Krista called out that she saw a SNAKE!  

From my college vet-tech days I remembered that Ontario only has one poisonous worrisome snake in this area - the eastern Massassauga rattlesnake.  This little guy was nowhere near looking like a threat, but a quick read on my phone (gotta love technology) and I affirmed that our little snake was a harmless garter snake.  My little ladybugs were so excited to check him out!

With the strawberries eaten and the snake set free it was time to wash up for some lunch.  I wonder what adventures our afternoon will bring?

Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment