Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Raspberry harvest

Good morning!

I'm still exploring the property, usually on my after dinner walks.  A lot of the gardens and tree lines had become overgrown with weeds and vines making it near impossible to see WHAT was underneath.  One evening last week my two little ladybugs and I were pleasantly surprised to find raspberry bushes.  Not one or two but SEVEN bushes!  Seven bushes that we counted full of ripe fuchsia berries.


To be sure we did have what I thought we had, I used my cell phone to compare pictures and descriptions of various berry bushes.  We do have red raspberry bushes.

Moving at the end of June, I knew I would need to wait until fall to break ground and prepare soil for spring planting of my dream veggie garden so this little find made me very happy.  Though my raspberries wouldn't get a hungry family through a cold winter, I had a few homestead recipes that called for frozen or preserved raspberries!  I enlisted my helpers and we set to work collecting ripe berries.


With dreams of red raspberry preserves in my head, I didn't notice right away just how many berries WERE NOT making it into the bowl.


In the end, a bedtime snack of yogurt and FRESH raspberries tasted just as sweet!

Maybe next year.  :)

Jeanette

2 comments:

  1. oh my so supper yummy, I miss our berry bushes that were at our last house. I can remember the little ones eating them off the bush and making delicious goodies as well
    visiting from annies home ( http://shopannies.blogspot.com )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by Angie! They sure were a yummy surprise for us. :)

    ReplyDelete